Dangers on the Outside for Cats

  • Never leave your cat locked outside during the night. Install a small door from which it can enter or leave whenever it pleases.
  • Check the garden and garage before closing them to make sure that your cat (or your neighbor’s cat) did not enter without being seen.
  • Antifreezes, oil and gasoline are very toxic and cats can take them in when they lick their paws. Keep your garage clean!
  • Cover the swimming pools, tanks and sewers of rain, with a net. 
  • Keep your cat away from areas that have been sprinkled with pesticides or that have been painted with varnish for wood. Even small portions of these are dangerous if they swallow them when they groom it also gets absorbed into the skin. 
  • Have the habit of looking underneath the car or under the motor’s cover, before turning it on. Cats very often use automobiles as refuges and can be run over or become trapped in the motor by accident.
  • Being exposed to the sun too often can cause cancer to the skin from its nose to the tips of its ears, a particular problem of white cats. A little of sunscreen lotion will protect it during sunny days. (Cats that sit in the sun, behind a widow, are safe from ultraviolet rays).
  • Keep your cat indoors during certain days. Fireworks frighten the cats and they may run off and get lost or hurt themselves. They can also become victims of an accident or a mischievous play.

Poisonous Substances for Cats
 Cats are usually careful with what they eat and it is not probable that they eat poisonous substances. The main causes of poisoning are caused when they accidentally take in products that are used against fleas or medicine for humans. Cats cannot tell the difference between that are innocuous for other animals; including painkillers, like aspirins, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and damages to the liver. A cat can also take in poison by licking its paw or fur after having touched chemicals for the inside the house or garden, so always be careful with what you use. Cats that hunt can take in large amount of poison for rats, without even knowing about it, when it eats a rodent that is full with the substance in its stomach and the result can be fatal.

 The signs of poisoning depend on the type of poisonous substance that has been ingested, but they include vomiting and severe diarrhea, loss of balance, muscular contractions, slobbering, convulsions and collapses.

Keep the cat inside a quiet and dark room and urgently seek for veterinarian help.

Cat Houses Dangers on the Outside for Cats Inside or Outside Cat? Indoor Cats Cat Games, Climbing Structures and Fun at Home